Wednesday, December 11, 2013

An Oldie But Goodie

I actually despise that phrase "oldie but goodie", but with the lack of brain power I'm possessing at the moment that's as good as it's gonna get.

It stands true, however. Today I'm sharing an old classic recipe that still warms the soul on chilly nights like the ones we've recently been enjoying having.

Chicken Noodle Soup
Go ahead... "Mmmmm". Yes, I agree.

Although I love to share some of my favorite meals, I'm pretty awful at sharing the recipe [as you may know]. But it's not always because there's a secret. It's more because I've taken after my grandmother and don't measure properly aka I cook in measurements that "just feel right". That's what she taught me.

But here's my attempt at sharing my homemade recipe:
48oz Chicken Stock
1/2c Carrots
1/2c Celery
1 Onion
2 Garlic cloves
3 Chicken Bouillon cubes
1lb Chicken Breast
1 Tbsp Parsley
1/2 Tbsp Bay Leaves, minced
3/4 bag Egg Noodles
Water, for consistency

First step, I pour some chicken stock into a pot and cook the chicken. Meanwhile, I chop all vegetables so they're ready to saute.
Next I get a separate pot [the soup pot] ready with some oil and begin sauteing the veggies. Mmmm the smell is delightful.
After they're softened, add the rest of the chicken stock, and bouillon cubes.
While the flavors begin to blend, start shredding your chicken [to your liking]. I prefer it like this.
Next, throw in your noodles and add water as needed. This is where my measurements are never accurate. This photo is the pre-water view.
Bring it all to a boil, add your chicken, then simmer on low. I like mine to sit for an hour at LEAST to make sure the flavors are all blended well together.

When it's ready, grab your spoons, bowls [my daughter likes to keep it festive] and some crackers! I wouldn't normally add crackers to mine unless I were sick, but oyster crackers are the ultimate and I just couldn't pass them up.
So there ya have it. 

Bon appetit!!! 

1 comment: