Thursday, December 12, 2013

I Look It But Don't Speak It

In reference to this great post [by my newest fave] I'd also love to share one my most awkward encounters with a stranger.

It was a rainy day back in 2000-something [great memory so far], and I was on one of our annual family vacations. Given the gloomy weather, the ladies made a shopping day out of it and headed to the nearest mall; showing that rain who's boss. Rainy day shopping success.

Moving on...

As I'm waiting for one of my cousins outside a store, I'm approached by a man.

Man: "[speaking in some form of Asian dialect]"

"I'm sorry?"

"Are you Japanese?"

"No, I'm Korean."

"Oh! [speaking in then I assumed Korean]"

"...I'm sorry I don't understand you."

"You don't speak Korean?"

"I do not"

"Oh...."

"Yea I was born in Korea, but adopted when I was 3 months old..." why I felt the need to share such intimate information with this stranger I don't know, but clearly he wasn't getting it.

He then proceeds such awkwardness with...

"How do you like the states?"

Shocked yet ready to end this dreadful encounter, I respond...

"It's all I know."

"Ah... well good day to you. "

"And to you as well good sir."

At least that's what I would have said if I wasn't dumbfounded. Instead, of what I remember, I smiled gracefully and walked away.

And that my friends was one of my own awkward moments with a stranger. One of many to come I'm sure.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment