Monday, March 31, 2014

Sometimes I'm A Push-Over

Today was the first day back to school for Audriana, after a seven day spring break. For a 4 year old, that can be challenging. Although she was eager to return, her behavior can get a little out of sorts - understandable. So today I was ready for a full report; hoping for good, but prepared for not-so-good. At her preschool, they reference timeout as "sitting in the Thinking Chair". So on a good day I'll ask "how was school?" and she'll reply, "I didn't sit in the thinking chair." And we high-five! 

How it usually goes on a not-so-good day... 

"How was school today?"

"...I sat in the thinking chair."

"Oh no [sad face]. What happened?" 

"I didn't want [lets call him Johnny] to play with me."

"Ok?"

"....so I hit him."

"Audriana... [disappointed face]" I'm very expressional.

From there I explain why it's bad to hit, and she agrees that it was not the right thing to do. However, if she sits in the thinking chair at school then she sits in the thinking chair at home; aka sits quietly in a corner with no toys or snack, for about 5 minutes.

So today... was a not-so-good day [sad face]. And it went along the lines of the above conversation. Immediately I told her she was going to have to sit in quiet time when we got home. The remainder of the car ride went as usual, just asked her questions about school, etc. 

We pull into the garage and I'm wondering if she remembers what I said. Hands full [baby carrier in one arm, bags in the other] I open her door but run inside to turn off the alarm. The next thing I know, that little stinker takes off her shoes, socks and coat... goes to the corner of the hall, and sits. Is this a trick? I'm thinking this is a trick. She just sits there. And she's quiet. I'm so confused. I can't actually wrap my head around how well she's behaving I'm pretty sure I told her to get up and go play after just 1 minute. 

Discipline at its finest, I know. She got me today.

Audriana 1 : Mommy 0 

No comments:

Post a Comment