Friday, May 10, 2013

What it means to grow up...

I'm usually quite punctual when it comes to arriving to events, appointments, etc; However, I seemed to have misplaced my ticket for that flight to Neverland long ago. I still know how to have fun, and be a goofball -trust me on that one - but I also know when it's time to be an adult. That being said, I've recently been reflecting on what it means to grow up. On August 2, 2009 - at the young age of 24 - life handed me the biggest responsibility known to man... a child; a beautiful baby girl. Right then, I knew life would never be the same, and that it was no longer just about me.
Life throws us curve balls, but throw a child in the mix and that's a whole other story. No one knows whether they're prepared or not, until that time comes - and for some, they're never ready, and never will be. But for those who accept life's challenges, realize the blessings in disguise. The blessing of a child is not hidden, mind you, but the amount of love and the bond that grows with the two of you is completely astounding and unimaginable. They become your world.

With the responsibility of a child, there's no doubt it's time to grow up. That car you wanted; not important. That dream house; it can wait. Even the last bite of breakfast, lunch or dinner; it's theirs if they ask for it. I remember witnessing one of my mom's selfless acts when I was younger. I asked for the rest of her meal - and I'm pretty sure I had already finished my whole plate - yet, she willingly gave it to me replying, "I'll never take food from my baby's mouth." Incredible. The simple act of possibly starving yourself, for the sake of fulfilling your child's hunger, it's what we do... and never second guessed.
Everyone, meet my mama.
Another witnessed account of growing up, was a few weeks ago. After owning a gas-guzzler for almost two years, my husband, the sensible man, decided it was time to readjust our finances. The money we would save with a less gas-guzzling vehicle would go into savings for activities and school these following years. Of course, that's more important. Sometimes big adjustments have to be made.

Sleep deprivation is another sign that growing up is in effect. Children don't have a body alarm in their younger years, and that can make for some rough nights. For these past months, baby girl likes to crawl in bed with us - usually around 3am - and I end up squished between a giant 6' man, and a child who seems to enjoy kickboxing in her sleep. With that said, my little one now resides on a small mattress on the floor beside our bed before bedtime, and for when she sneaks in our room in the middle of the night. It's been quite accommodating for all parties involved. 
  Snug as a bug in a rug.
Nonetheless, when they wake up and need you to scratch their back to help them fall back asleep, we do it... even if we're barely awake ourselves. Then as soon as the sun is awake - as my sweet girl likes to describe the sunrise - we have to gather whatever energy we have, and begin another day! Time doesn't stop, and neither do they.

Although having a child is certainly the beginning of learning to grow up, we continue to learn along side them, as well. Children teach us the simple joys in life. Growing up doesn't mean letting go of the things that make us happy, but prioritizing those matters in order of importance. For me, it's my daughter. 

She is my #1. 

Chris, you know it's a close tie... ;)  
AMY SHEPHERD PHOTOGRAPHY
Remember, growing up doesn't have to be about hardships. Behind the struggles there are blessings hidden, soon to be revealed. Growing up and gaining knowledge through our children is a great virtue. 

And for fun, growing up also does not mean you can't have a good time with some good tunes!!!
This may not be for everybody, but the tunes I'm rocking today is one of my absolute favorites, and one we enjoy shaking it to in Zuuuuuumba. Oh yes!!!

Happy Friday, everyone!

4 comments: