Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Surprise! There's a kid at my door...

Where's this post title leading to? I'll get to that. First, I want to wish my bestest friend a:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! 
I have explained our years of friendship and have possibly overused this plug in on many many posts, but here it is once more for good measure... why she is indeed my best friend.
So, Saturday evening I decided to host a small dinner. Originally the idea was just a party of four - myself, Chris, Jess and her husband, Blake. But I wanted to make it a little more special, so I reached out to her sister's family and another best friend of ours. As luck would have it, a party of 8 was now in effect.

Trying to decide on that evening's dish was easy peesy, given Jess is never too difficult to please. I asked, Italian? She said YES. Sweet. I already had the menu set. Homemade bruschetta, Caesar salad, and miniature breadsticks for the apps, then dinner would consist of two different baked lasagnas; meat/cheese/mushrooms/peppers, and meat/cheese (for our plain Janes; or should I say Joes). Sadly, the only display shots I had of the evening were of the appetizer and salad.
After successfully prepping all the food, stress free I might add, the birthday girl had arrived. Originally, I had the other parties arriving beforehand, but I figured she would recognize the cars while driving up to the house. With that said, we had everyone else arrive afterwards; and it couldn't have been a more perfect surprise entrance. This is where my appropriate title comes into play.

Prior to their arrival, her sister and I thought it'd be hilarious to have Jess' nephew stand outside of the door and ring the door bell, just him standing there. From inside, I was going to stay busy where I'd need Jess to answer the door for me. It almost didn't work out as I found myself standing in the living room when the doorbell rang... I just stopped. Jess says, "Megan? Your door bell just rang..." and there I am just standing there as if I didn't hear a thing. Smooth, I know. Yet I dashed away as if I had something I needed to do and she offered to open the door. WHEW! From around the corner I begin filming, to capture her reaction. However, it didn't quite go as planned in the first few seconds. Instead of opening the door and recognizing her nephew, she just looks out the small window and replies confused, "...oh it's like a... it's a kid." She was stunned and waited about another few seconds, until she finally opened the door!
The look on her face said it all... it was a successful surprise!!!!
  With everyone arriving, it was now time to dig in. I tried snatching a few candids, but I was a bit sloppy with the timing. Regardless, everyone seemed to enjoy their meal thankfully. Gavin made have enjoyed his more than anyone else. ;) He's sooooo stinking cute!!
 And then there was the traditional surprise... the birthday cake! I've explained the meaning of the birthday cake in my previous plug-in above, so to say it's a surprise isn't quite accurate - however I switch it up every year, so she never knows what it's going to look like. :) This year I may have topped them all!
 Sweet Stuff Bakery, truly outdid themselves again; fourth year in a row. Our stomachs could certainly agree on that as well. We were stuffed to the bone! Not to mention leftovers for days. Score! 

Finishing off where we first began, I'm sending out lots of birthday love to my bestest friend, Jess!!!! I'm always grateful for our friendship, and can't wait to share many more memorable years!!! Love you!!!!

1 comment: