Saturday, November 23, 2013

Cirque du Soleil from the Ukraine

When I was three or four years old I took gymnastics, as any young child should experience for any possible coordination ability. From what I remember, it was fun. Except for the scar on the top of my foot from the cheese pit. Not so fun when there's a nail sticking out by the exit ladder. Um, ouch.

Recently, we enrolled Audriana (age 4) into the same gymnastics program and with our 5th week approaching she still seems to enjoy it. Thank goodness. I was a little concerned on the third week when the instructor assisted her up on the 4ft. balance beam and Audriana responded in tears or terror. True story. But she has overcome that, and is now a willing participant.

I never took gymnastics very seriously, given the reality that I failed at a simple backbend - if that's the accurate terminology. So, there's no real pressure for Audriana to take up such an interest. If she does, great. If she doesn't, we'll move on. Like I said, right now it's simply for coordination purposes.

Avoiding any of THESE at all costs would be a great.
 With that said, if she does so happen to take an interest in gymnastics and aspires to be the next Shawn Johnson, then we better make sure she doesn't compete against Ukrainians.

I've seen this video floating around everywhere, so I decided to see what it was all about. I believe the original title was some derivative of "jaw dropping", so I was curious.

And as all others who've witnessed this before me, my thoughts were simply "...wait, what?".



And these were my thoughts at certain points throughout the video...

1:19s: "...whoa where's this going?"

1:25s: "...does she have a vertebrate? "

2:18s: "...seriously, again??"

2:30s: "...who thinks this stuff up???"

1 comment: