Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Gobble Till You Wobble

One of my favorite time of year has arrived. I love getting together with our families, and the food indulgence doesn't hurt either. Especially this time around. 34 weeks pregnant = automatic belly bulge = no shame. 

Before I head out to both family gatherings, I wanted to share a new tradition I've been providing these past two years. 

Homemade Pecan Pie
Ok so I first must confess that this year, and this year only I did not make my pie crust. [shreeeeeeek] I'm a strong believer that "homemade" means just that, homemade. Last year I successfully accomplished my first experience making two pie crusts from scratch, but this year I just didn't have the time. With that said, the Pillsbury Pie Crust was my second option and it worked just fine. I recommend that if you're ever in a crunch. 

Baking has always been a hobby of mine. I just love it. I don't know what makes it so enjoyable, but it is. Not to mention I love throwing on one of my favorite purchases from Paula Deen's restaurant in Savannah, GA. 
Recipe time!

Again, at the last minute I was unable to find my husband's grandma's recipe [failing on all accounts thus far] so the next best thing was set on good research, and reviews. With that, I stumbled upon the Pioneer Woman. Her ingredients, and measurements were almost exact to what I remember of my own recipe so that was the winner. 

Here are the essentials.
Sugar, brown sugar, salt corn syrup, eggs, vanilla extract, melted butter and of course pecans! I bought the halves, and coarsely chopped them to make some tinier pieces [it helps the crunch; read more on that on the recipe site]. For exact measurements, you can find them HERE.

1. combine all dry ingredients 2. sift them together 3. add syrup 4. add melted butter
1. add beaten eggs 2. add vanilla extract 3. coarsely chop pecans 4. evenly spread them on bottom of shell1. pour mixture over pecans 2. let pecans rise to top 3. fluff crust edges with fork 4. cover with foil
Bake for about an hour at 350 degrees. I say "about" because all ovens vary. This particular recipe even calls to split the time 30/20, removing the foil after 30 minutes. I ended up baking two pies, and each one did great with an hour's time. But you be the judge of your own oven.

That is all I have for today! Hope everyone has a safe holiday weekend!!!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment